Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care like they've never experienced. See the stories of Mayo Clinic transplant patients.
Professional Outdoorsman Lives Life to the Fullest After Liver Transplant
Being diagnosed with bile duct cancer that eventually necessitated a liver transplant wasn't enough to keep Steve Woodford down for long. A South African native living in Utah, Steve is professional skydiving instructor, backpacker and canyon guide in Zion National Park. He has always lived on the edge with his active outdoors lifestyle. Getting sick [...]
Complementary Medicine Provides Healing Touch for Patient in Final Days
Marilyn and David Weissing, both Mayo Clinic employees, knew something was wrong when their 19-year-old son, Karl, asked to be taken to the hospital one summer evening in 2014. Karl, always healthy and active, rarely complained about anything. So David immediately drove him to the Emergency Department at Mayo Clinic’s Rochester campus. Karl, a beekeeper, [...]
Transplant Change-Up Gives Courtney a Second Chance
Courtney Kidd is working hard to raise organ donor awareness after a new approach to double-organ transplant saved her life. Born with five congenital heart defects and suffering through several medical complications, Courtney needed both a new heart and a new liver. Previous surgeries at ages 2, 6, 12 and then again at 22, and [...]
Surviving Hepatitis C -- A Patient’s Journey Through Two Liver Transplants
For most organ transplant recipients, receiving the “gift of life” is a one-time experience. But for Nellie Betancourt, battling the hepatitis C virus that had been in hiding in her body for years required another “second chance at life,” thanks to a second generous donor and a new generation of anti-viral drugs. Betancourt, a [...]
Mexican man grateful for normal life after liver transplant
When doctors in Mexico City diagnosed Mauricio Perez-Olegaray with liver cirrhosis, he thought the condition was the result of earlier alcohol consumption and a genetic predisposition. But at Mayo Clinic, in Rochester, Minn., doctors discovered instead the silent progress of hepatitis C. For the next six years, a team of Mayo Clinic specialists cared for [...]
Aug. 23, 2016
- Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients. http://www.srtr.org/default.aspx. April 11, 2016.
- U.S. News & World Report. U.S. News Best Hospitals 2015-16. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed Feb. 22, 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Liver transplant. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Eggebraaten KR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 23, 2016.
- Barbara DW, et al. The perioperative management of patients undergoing combined heart-liver transplantation. Transplantation. 2015;99:139.
- Bulatao IG, et al. Avoiding stay in the intensive care unit after liver transplantation: A score to assign location of care. American Journal of Transplantation. 2014;14:2088.
- Heimbach JK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 28, 2016.
- Stulak JM, et al. Combined heart and abdominal organ transplantation: Excellent outcomes gained from a unique experience. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. 2014;33:S278.
- Ibrahim SH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 14, 2016.
- Glorioso JM, et al. Pivotal preclinical trial of the spheroid reservoir bioartificial liver. Journal of Hepatology. 2015;63:388.
- Heimbach JK, et al. Combined liver transplantation and gastric sleeve resection for patients with medically complicated obesity and end-stage liver disease. American Journal of Transplantation. 2013;13:363.
- Murad SD, et al. Long-term clinical and radiological follow up of living liver donors. Liver Transplantation. In press. Accessed May 11, 2016.
- Murad SD, et al. Predictors of pretransplant dropout and posttransplant recurrence in patients with perihilar cholangiocarcinoma. Hepatology. 2012;56:973.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. About your child's liver transplant. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2009.
- Rizvi S, et al. Primary sclerosing cholangitis as a premalignant biliary tract disease: Surveillance and management. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2015;13:2152.
- Taner T, et al. Decreased chronic cellular and antibody-mediated injury in the kidney following simultaneous liver-kidney transplantation. Kidney International. 2016;89:909.
- Watt KD, et al. A practical guide to the management of HCV infection following liver transplantation. American Journal of Transplantation. 2009;9:1707.
- Rosen CB, et al. Liver transplantation for cholangiocarcinoma. Transplant International. 2010;23:692.
- Raichlin E, et al. Combined heart and liver transplantation: A single-center experience. Transplantation. 2009;88:219.
- Nagourney E. 'Domino' transplants: Rare and risky. The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2000/05/02/health/domino-transplants-rare-and-risky.html. Accessed May 12, 2016.
- Kitchens WH. Domino liver transplantation: Indications, techniques, and outcomes. Transplantation Reviews. 2011;25:167.
- Yu Y, et al. Cell therapies for liver diseases. Liver Transplantation. 2012;18:9.
- Croome KP, et al. The use of donation after cardiac death allografts does not increase recurrence of hepatocellular carcinoma. American Journal of Transplantation. 2015;15:2704.
- De Assuncao TM, et al. Development and characterization of human-induced pluripotent stem cell-derived cholangiocytes. Laboratory Investigation. 2015;95:684.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 15, 2016.
- Brown AY. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 22, 2016.
- Cook AJ. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 2, 2014.
- Krowka MJ, et al. International Liver Transplant Society practice guidelines: Diagnosis and management of hepatopulmonary syndrome and portopulmonary hypertension. Transplantation. 2016;100:1440.
- Patel K, et al. FibroSURE and FibroScan in relation to treatment response in chronic hepatitis C virus. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2011;17:4581.
- Singh S, et al. Magnetic resonance elastography for staging liver fibrosis in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: A diagnostic accuracy systematic review and individual participant data pooled analysis. European Radiology. 2016;26:1431.
- Han L, et al. Extracorporeal liver support and liver transplant for patients with acute-on-chronic liver failure. Seminars in Liver Disease. 2016;36:153. https://www.thieme-connect.de/products/ejournals/html/10.1055/s-0036-1583197. Accessed June 29, 2016.
- Gallagher C. Transplant genomics enters collaboration with Mayo Clinic (news release). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 27, 2016.
- Heilman RL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz. June 24, 2016.