Obesity and liver disease
Talk with your doctor about liver transplant options that improve outcomes.
Click here for an infographic to learn more
Mayo Clinic doctors have experience treating obese people who have liver failure and many related conditions they may experience. Many people who need a liver transplant may be obese. In highly selected cases, surgeons may do a liver transplant and a type of weight-loss surgery (sleeve gastrectomy) at the same time. The weight-loss (bariatric) surgery may prevent recurrent obesity as well as failure of the newly transplanted liver.
Researchers study the potential benefits and complications of bariatric surgery for people before, during and after liver transplant. They also study the effects of obesity and related conditions before and after liver transplant. Several complications can occur after transplant due to obesity.
Some immunosuppressive (anti-rejection) medication side effects, such as high blood pressure and insulin resistance, may lead to metabolic syndrome and other problems after your liver transplant. Metabolic syndrome is associated with obesity and other serious conditions, including heart and blood vessel (cardiovascular) diseases and liver organ failure. Doctors may evaluate you for metabolic syndrome in order to appropriately treat your condition, which may include changing certain medications and other therapies.
Some people who are overweight or obese may develop nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) or nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), a more serious form of NAFLD. In NAFLD fat accumulates in your liver and causes complications. This condition may occur before or after a liver transplant. Doctors may test a very small sample of your liver tissue (liver biopsy) at appointments after your transplant to diagnose these conditions and determine the most appropriate treatments.
Share your experience
Share your Mayo Clinic transplant experience with others using social media.
Sept. 09, 2017
- Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients. http://www.srtr.org/default.aspx. April 11, 2016.
- U.S. News & World Report. U.S. News Best Hospitals 2015-16. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed Feb. 22, 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Liver transplant. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Eggebraaten KR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 23, 2016.
- Barbara DW, et al. The perioperative management of patients undergoing combined heart-liver transplantation. Transplantation. 2015;99:139.
- Bulatao IG, et al. Avoiding stay in the intensive care unit after liver transplantation: A score to assign location of care. American Journal of Transplantation. 2014;14:2088.
- Heimbach JK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 28, 2016.
- Stulak JM, et al. Combined heart and abdominal organ transplantation: Excellent outcomes gained from a unique experience. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. 2014;33:S278.
- Ibrahim SH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 14, 2016.
- Glorioso JM, et al. Pivotal preclinical trial of the spheroid reservoir bioartificial liver. Journal of Hepatology. 2015;63:388.
- Heimbach JK, et al. Combined liver transplantation and gastric sleeve resection for patients with medically complicated obesity and end-stage liver disease. American Journal of Transplantation. 2013;13:363.
- Murad SD, et al. Long-term clinical and radiological follow up of living liver donors. Liver Transplantation. In press. Accessed May 11, 2016.
- Murad SD, et al. Predictors of pretransplant dropout and posttransplant recurrence in patients with perihilar cholangiocarcinoma. Hepatology. 2012;56:973.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. About your child's liver transplant. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2009.
- Rizvi S, et al. Primary sclerosing cholangitis as a premalignant biliary tract disease: Surveillance and management. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2015;13:2152.
- Taner T, et al. Decreased chronic cellular and antibody-mediated injury in the kidney following simultaneous liver-kidney transplantation. Kidney International. 2016;89:909.
- Watt KD, et al. A practical guide to the management of HCV infection following liver transplantation. American Journal of Transplantation. 2009;9:1707.
- Rosen CB, et al. Liver transplantation for cholangiocarcinoma. Transplant International. 2010;23:692.
- Raichlin E, et al. Combined heart and liver transplantation: A single-center experience. Transplantation. 2009;88:219.
- Nagourney E. 'Domino' transplants: Rare and risky. The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2000/05/02/health/domino-transplants-rare-and-risky.html. Accessed May 12, 2016.
- Kitchens WH. Domino liver transplantation: Indications, techniques, and outcomes. Transplantation Reviews. 2011;25:167.
- Yu Y, et al. Cell therapies for liver diseases. Liver Transplantation. 2012;18:9.
- Croome KP, et al. The use of donation after cardiac death allografts does not increase recurrence of hepatocellular carcinoma. American Journal of Transplantation. 2015;15:2704.
- De Assuncao TM, et al. Development and characterization of human-induced pluripotent stem cell-derived cholangiocytes. Laboratory Investigation. 2015;95:684.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 15, 2016.
- Brown AY. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 22, 2016.
- Cook AJ. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 2, 2014.
- Krowka MJ, et al. International Liver Transplant Society practice guidelines: Diagnosis and management of hepatopulmonary syndrome and portopulmonary hypertension. Transplantation. 2016;100:1440.
- Patel K, et al. FibroSURE and FibroScan in relation to treatment response in chronic hepatitis C virus. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2011;17:4581.
- Singh S, et al. Magnetic resonance elastography for staging liver fibrosis in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: A diagnostic accuracy systematic review and individual participant data pooled analysis. European Radiology. 2016;26:1431.
- Han L, et al. Extracorporeal liver support and liver transplant for patients with acute-on-chronic liver failure. Seminars in Liver Disease. 2016;36:153. https://www.thieme-connect.de/products/ejournals/html/10.1055/s-0036-1583197. Accessed June 29, 2016.
- Gallagher C. Transplant genomics enters collaboration with Mayo Clinic (news release). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 27, 2016.
- Heilman RL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz. June 24, 2016.