Myasthenia gravis care at Mayo Clinic
- Your Mayo Clinic care team. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in nervous system conditions (neurologists), chest surgeons (thoracic surgeons) and other specialists have extensive experience in diagnosing and treating myasthenia gravis.
Advanced diagnosis and treatment. Mayo Clinic's neurology experts provide comprehensive care for more than 700 adults and children with myasthenia gravis each year. Mayo Clinic thoracic surgeons are experienced in treating myasthenia gravis and performing surgery to remove the thymus gland (thymectomy).
At Mayo Clinic, you may have the option of a minimally invasive thymectomy, which may include a video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery or robotic surgery.
- Ongoing research. Mayo Clinic researchers in basic and clinical research work together to better understand how your immune system functions and how to most effectively treat your condition. Researchers trained in nervous system and immune system conditions (neuroimmunology), nervous system and muscle diseases (neuromuscular diseases), electromyography, and other areas study myasthenia gravis, congenital myasthenic syndromes and similar conditions.
- Pediatric expertise. Doctors trained in child and adolescent neurology, thoracic surgery, and oncology care for children with myasthenia gravis at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. Doctors also have experience in diagnosing and treating congenital myasthenic syndromes.
Expertise and rankings
Mayo Clinic's neurology experts provide comprehensive care for more than 700 adults and children with myasthenia gravis each year.
- Teamwork. Mayo Clinic's world-renowned medical staff works together with other specialists to deliver the most appropriate treatment for each person. Your myasthenia gravis treatment team may involve doctors trained in nervous system conditions (neurologists), chest surgeons (thoracic surgeons) and other specialists or professionals as needed.
- The latest techniques and technology. Mayo Clinic doctors participate in trials for potential new medications and surgeries for myasthenia gravis, and you may have the opportunity to participate. Learn more about research on the neuromuscular diseases and ALS research website.
Nationally recognized expertise
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for neurology and neurosurgery in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.