Bladder cancer care at Mayo Clinic
At Mayo Clinic, you have access to:
- Surgeons who are specially trained to treat bladder cancers. Mayo Clinic urologists that treat bladder cancer have additional training and specialize in this area of surgery. This expertise and specialization assures that you receive treatment that's tailored to fit your specific needs and assures the best outcomes possible.
- The latest in bladder cancer treatment. Mayo Clinic makes extensive use of the newest technology to improve chances for positive outcomes. Surgeons offer open and robotic surgery, as well as other approaches in selected cases. If invasive cancer requires bladder removal (radical cystectomy), a surgical procedure to construct a new bladder (neobladder reconstruction) inside the abdomen is an option for many people.
- A full range of treatment options to consider. Mayo Clinic doctors will work with you to review all of your treatment options and choose the treatment that best suits your needs and goals. The range of treatments offered to people with bladder cancer includes surgery, chemotherapy, biological therapy and radiation therapy.
- A comprehensive cancer center. Mayo Clinic Cancer Center meets strict standards for a National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center, which recognizes scientific excellence and a multidisciplinary approach to cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
- Cutting-edge research that improves care. Mayo Clinic specialists are actively involved in research designed to improve care for people with bladder cancer. This gives you a chance to enroll in clinical trials to try the latest treatment innovations. Learn more about clinical trials at Mayo Clinic.
Expertise and rankings
Mayo Clinic's world-class experts offer an integrated team approach to your care:
- Collaboration. At Mayo Clinic, urologists, oncologists, radiation oncologists, pathologists and radiologists and other specialists work as a multidisciplinary team to provide whole-person care for those with bladder cancer. Your care team is prepared with the knowledge and resources to provide you with exactly the care you need.
- Expertise. Mayo Clinic is a leader in bladder cancer diagnosis and treatment, including urological research, surgical procedures and other treatments. Mayo Clinic surgeons pioneered many of the procedures — such as robotic cystectomy, robotic urinary diversion and neobladder reconstruction, intravesical therapy at the time of bladder tumor removal, use of hexaminolevulinate and blue light imaging techniques to visualize bladder tumors, and development and commercialization of bladder tumor marker tests, including fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH), to detect and diagnose bladder cancer — used to treat bladder cancer today.
- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors have extensive experience caring for people with bladder cancer. Each year, more than 2,500 people with bladder cancer seek care at Mayo Clinic.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., have been ranked among the Best Hospitals for urology and cancer in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.