When to seek medical advice

Seek prompt medical care if your child has an eye injury or experiences sudden vision changes, especially if accompanied by:

  • Severe eye pain or irritation
  • Swelling or redness in or around the eyes
  • Discharge of blood or pus from the eyes
  • Unequal pupil sizes
  • Problems with eye movement

See a specialist in vision problems (optometrist or ophthalmologist) if your child experiences any vision problems that impair his or her ability to read or write comfortably or participate in everyday activities.

Eye problems in children

Find possible causes of vision problems in children based on specific factors. Check one or more factors on this page that apply to your child's symptom.

Problem is
Problem affects
Onset is
Duration is
You observe your child
Accompanied by