A kidney biopsy may be done to:
- Diagnose a kidney problem that can't otherwise be identified
- Help develop treatment plans based on the kidney's condition
- Determine how quickly kidney disease is progressing
- Determine the extent of damage from kidney disease or another disease
- Evaluate how well treatment for kidney disease is working
- Monitor the health of a transplanted kidney or find out why a transplanted kidney isn't working properly
Your doctor may recommend a kidney biopsy based on the results of blood or urine tests that show:
- Blood in the urine (hematuria) originating from the kidney
- Protein in the urine (proteinuria) that's excessive, rising or accompanied by other signs of kidney disease
- Problems with kidney function, leading to excessive waste products in the blood
Not everyone with these problems needs a kidney biopsy. The decision is based on your signs and symptoms, test results, and overall health.
May 15, 2015
- Johnson RJ, et al. Renal biopsy. In: Comprehensive Clinical Nephrology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 14, 2015.
- Lager DJ, et al. Renal biopsy interpretation. In: Practical Renal Pathology. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 7, 2015.
- Kidney biopsy. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NKUDIC). http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/biopsy/index.aspx. Accessed March 7, 2015.
- Whittier WL, et al. Indications for and complications of renal biopsy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 7, 2015.
- Taal MW, et al. The renal biopsy. In: Brenner & Rector's The Kidney. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 14, 2015.
- Kidney biopsy: A guide for patients. National Kidney Foundation. http://www.kidney.org/sites/default/files/docs/11-10-0106_patbro_renalbiopsy.pdf. Accessed March 7, 2015.
- El-Zoghby ZM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 17, 2015.
- Walls DJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 18, 2015.
- Castle EP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, AZ. March 22, 2015.