How you prepareBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Before your kidney biopsy, you'll meet with your doctor to talk about what to expect. This is a good time to ask questions about the procedure and make sure you understand the benefits and risks.
When you meet with your doctor, bring a list of all medications you take, including over-the-counter medications, vitamins and herbal supplements. Before your kidney biopsy, you'll be asked to stop taking medications and supplements that can increase the risk of bleeding. These include:
- Blood-thinning medications (anticoagulants), such as warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven), rivaroxaban (Xarelto), dabigatran (Pradaxa) or enoxaparin (Lovenox)
- Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Certain dietary supplements, such as omega-3 fatty acids
Generally, these medications will be stopped 7 days before the procedure and may be resumed 7 days after the procedure. Your doctor or nurse will let you know when to stop taking these medications and supplements, and for how long.
Blood and urine samples
Before your biopsy, you'll have blood drawn and provide a urine sample to make sure you don't have an infection or another condition that would make the biopsy risky.
You may be asked not to drink or eat for eight hours before the kidney biopsy.
May 15, 2015
- Johnson RJ, et al. Renal biopsy. In: Comprehensive Clinical Nephrology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 14, 2015.
- Lager DJ, et al. Renal biopsy interpretation. In: Practical Renal Pathology. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 7, 2015.
- Kidney biopsy. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NKUDIC). http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/biopsy/index.aspx. Accessed March 7, 2015.
- Whittier WL, et al. Indications for and complications of renal biopsy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 7, 2015.
- Taal MW, et al. The renal biopsy. In: Brenner & Rector's The Kidney. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 14, 2015.
- Kidney biopsy: A guide for patients. National Kidney Foundation. http://www.kidney.org/sites/default/files/docs/11-10-0106_patbro_renalbiopsy.pdf. Accessed March 7, 2015.
- El-Zoghby ZM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 17, 2015.
- Walls DJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 18, 2015.
- Castle EP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, AZ. March 22, 2015.