Mayo Clinic electrophysiologist Fred Kusumoto, M.D., explains what happens in the heart to create atrial fibrillation and what can be done to fix it.
- Experience and expertise. Ablation therapy involves a wide range of complex procedures that require highly skilled physicians or surgeons. Mayo Clinic experts have extensive experience with these techniques. The depth of experience helps doctors provide exactly the care you need.
- Teamwork. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in many specialties are trained in ablation therapy. They work as a team to care for people undergoing ablation therapy.
- Advanced technology. People undergoing ablation therapy at Mayo Clinic benefit from Mayo's advanced technology.
- Research. Mayo Clinic researchers have contributed to the understanding of ablation therapy and have published widely on the results of their research. They are committed to developing and sharing new techniques and evaluating their effectiveness.
This emphasis on research increases the treatment choices available to Mayo Clinic patients, and they might also have access to clinical trials and other studies.
Aug. 15, 2017
- Catheter ablation. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/ablation/. Accessed Dec. 13, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) laser surgery. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Radiofrequency/microwave tumor ablation. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Sharp HT. An overview of endometrial ablation. http://www.uptodate.com. Accessed Dec. 13, 2016.
- Cryosurgery in cancer treatment: Questions and answers. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Therapy/cryosurgery/. Accessed Dec. 13, 2016.
- Calkins H, et al. 2012 HRS/EHRA/ECAS expert consensus statement on catheter and surgical ablation of atrial fibrillation: Recommendations for patient selection, procedural techniques, patient management and follow-up, definitions, endpoints, and research trial design. A Report of the Heart Rhythm Society Task Force on Catheter and Surgical Ablation of Atrial Fibrillation. Heart Rhythm. 2012;9:632.
- Stewart EA. Overview of treatment of uterine leiomyomas (fibroids). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 13, 2016.
- Spechler SJ, et al. Barrett's esophagus. New England Journal of Medicine. 2014;371:836.
- AskMayoExpert. Percutaneous tumor ablation. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- How is cardiomyopathy treated? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/cm/treatment.html. Accessed Dec. 13, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Varicose veins. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.