Anaphylaxis is the most serious type of allergic reaction. It often occurs rapidly after exposure to an allergen and may be life-threatening.
Asthma attack: Find out what the symptoms are and how to treat an asthma attack.
Bronchiolitis is an infection of the lungs' airways that starts out like a cold but progresses to coughing and wheezing. It's common in infants.
Bronchitis often develops after a cold. Learn how to prevent this potentially serious lung infection.
Carcinoid tumors are rare, slow-growing cancerous tumors that most often occur in the gastrointestinal tract or in the lungs.
More than an annoyance, a chronic cough can significantly affect your quality of life. Find out how it's diagnosed and treated.
Dust mite allergy, an immune system reaction to inhaled dust mite "debris," causes hay fever symptoms and may cause allergy-induced asthma.
Food allergy symptoms can make you miserable. Unfortunately, there's no cure — but there are steps you can take to keep your symptoms in check.
Neuroblastoma most commonly affects children age 5 and younger. It's the most common form of cancer in babies.
Sarcoidosis starts in your lungs but can cause inflammation in any part of your body. It can last a lifetime, or disappear in a few years.
Wegener's granulomatosis is an uncommon disease that causes blood vessel inflammation that can damage lungs, kidneys and other organs. Untreated, it can be fatal.
April 10, 2014
- Irwin RS. Evaluation of wheezing illnesses other than asthma in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 31, 2013.
- Weiss LN. The diagnosis of wheezing in children. American Family Physician. 2008;77:1109.
- Fakhoury K. Wheezing illnesses other than asthma in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 31, 2013.
- Wheezing. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec05/ch045/ch045j.html#. Accessed July 31, 2013.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 31, 2013.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 31, 2013.
- What is COPD? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/copd/. Accessed Aug. 8, 2013.
- Fakhoury K. Approach to wheezing in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 31, 2013.
- Schmitt BD. Pediatric Telephone Protocols. 14th ed. Elk Grove Village, Ill.: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2013:14.
- What is asthma? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/asthma/. Accessed Aug. 13, 2013.