Bacterial vaginosis — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, treatments and prevention of this common vaginal infection.
An ectopic pregnancy can't continue normally — but prompt treatment can help prevent life-threatening blood loss.
Miscarriage can be heartbreaking. It might help to understand possible causes and treatment options, as well as what to expect for the future.
Placenta accreta — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms and treatment of this serious pregnancy condition.
Placenta previa is a pregnancy complication that can cause excessive bleeding before or during delivery. Treatment may include bed rest or a C-section birth.
Vaginitis is an irritating inflammation of the vagina often caused by fungi (yeasts), bacteria or parasites. Treatment depends on the type of vaginitis you have.
Apr. 16, 2013
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Committee on Practice Bulletins — Gynecology. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 128. Diagnosis of abnormal uterine bleeding in reproductive-aged women. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2012;120:197.
- South-Paul JE, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Family Medicine. 3rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=52. Accessed Mar. 4, 2013.
- Schmitz G, et al. Genitourinary emergencies in the nonpregnant woman. Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America. 2011:29;621.
- Goodman AK. Initial approach to the premenopausal woman with abnormal uterine bleeding. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 4, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the most common causes of abnormal uterine bleeding? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the most common causes of postmenopausal vaginal bleeding? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Casper RF. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of menopause. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 10, 2013.
- Goodman AK. Postmenopausal uterine bleeding. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 4, 2013.
- Zacur HA. Managing an episode of severe or prolonged uterine bleeding. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 4, 2013.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed March 5, 2013.
- Tsai MC, et al. Office diagnosis and management of abnormal uterine bleeding. Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2012;55:635.
- Paradise J. Evaluation of vaginal bleeding in children and adolescents. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 12, 2013.
- Hickey M, et al. Unscheduled bleeding in continuous combined hormone therapy users. Maturitas. 2011;70:400.
- Fritz MA, et al., eds. Clinical Gynecologic Endocrinology and Infertility. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2011. http://ovidsp.ovid.com/ovidweb.cgi?T=JS&NEWS=n&CSC=Y&PAGE=booktext&D=books&AN=01437507$&XPATH=/PG(0). Accessed March 12, 2013.
- Goodman AK. Overview of causes of genital tract bleeding in women. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 22, 2013.
- Frequently asked questions. Gynecologic problems FAQ162. Perimenopausal bleeding and bleeding after menopause. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq162.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20130329T1216499168. Accessed March 22, 2013.
- General information about vaginal cancer. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/vaginal/Patient/page1. Accessed March 21, 2013.
- Shah SH, et al. Uterine sarcomas: Then and now. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2012;199:213.
- Gonorrhea - CDC Fact Sheet. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/std/gonorrhea/stdfact-gonorrhea.htm. Accessed March 21, 2013.