Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by compression of the nerve running through your wrist. Treatment can provide relief.
Chiari malformation is an uncommon condition in which brain tissue extends into the spinal canal, causing headaches and other potentially serious symptoms.
Churg-Strauss syndrome is a rare disorder marked by blood vessel inflammation that affects organs throughout the body. Asthma is the most common sign.
A pinched nerve occurs when pressure is applied by surrounding tissues. This pressure disrupts the nerve's function, causing pain, tingling or numbness.
Polycythemia vera is a rare blood disorder in which a person's bone marrow makes too many blood cells.
Thoracic outlet syndrome is a group of disorders that occur when the nerves or vessels in the shoulder area (thoracic outlet) are compressed.
Lacking certain vitamins can lead to vitamin deficiency anemia. Find out which vitamins are linked to this condition.
April 08, 2016
- Ferri FF. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 2, 2016.
- Stroke: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/stroke/detail_stroke.htm. Accessed Feb. 2, 2016.
- Rosenfeld J, et al. Numbness: A practical guide for family physicians. American Academy of Neurology. https://www.aan.com/uploadedFiles/Website_Library_Assets/Documents/4.CME_and_Training/2.Training/4.Clerkship_and_Course_Director_Resources/FM_Chp3.pdf. Accessed Feb. 2, 2016.
- De Keyser F. Ganglion cysts of the wrist and hand. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 2, 2016.
- Raynaud's disease. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/raynaud/ray_all.html. Accessed Feb. 2, 2016.
- Numbness. National Multiple Sclerosis Society. http://www.nationalmssociety.org/about-multiple-sclerosis/what-we-know-about-ms/symptoms/numbness/index.asp. Accessed Feb. 2, 2016.
- Neuropathy (nerve damage). American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/neuropathy/. Accessed Feb. 3, 2016.
- Stabler SP. Vitamin B12 deficiency. New England Journal of Medicine. 2013;368:149.
- Cervical spondylosis (arthritis of the neck). American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00369. Accessed Feb. 3, 2016.
- Ganglion (cyst) of the wrist. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00006. Accessed Feb. 4, 2016.
- Syrinx. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/sec16/ch224/ch224j.html. Accessed Feb. 4, 2016.
- NINDS Brachial Plexus Injuries Information Page. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/brachial_plexus/brachial_plexus.htm Accessed Feb. 10, 2016.
- Katirji B. Disorders of peripheral nerves. In: Bradley's Neurology in Clinical Practice. 7th ed. https://www.clinicalkey.com/#!/browse/book/3-s2.0-C20130000801. Accessed Jan. 19, 2016.
- Briemberg HR, et al. Approach to the patient with sensory loss. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 25, 2016.
- Levin K. Cervical spondylitic myelopathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 10, 2016.
- Vriesendorp FJ. Clinical features and diagnosis of Guillain-Barré syndrome in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 15, 2016.
- Clinical manifestations of Sjögren's syndrome: Extraglandular disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 29, 2016.
- Bowden JL, et al. The prevalence and magnitude of impaired cutaneous sensation across the hand in the chronic period post-stroke. PLoS ONE. 2014;9: e104153.