Addison's disease occurs when your adrenal glands produce insufficient amounts of certain important hormones. Treatment may include taking corticosteroids.
Back pain is a common reason for health care visits and missed work. Home treatment and proper body mechanics can help you feel better.
Behcet's disease affects several body systems and causes a variety of signs and symptoms. Find out what it is and how it's treated.
Broken leg — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, diagnosis and treatment of this type of fracture.
Buerger's disease affects blood vessels in your arms, legs, fingers and toes, causing pain and swelling. This rare disease is usually caused by tobacco use.
Fibromuscular dysplasia is a rare, but treatable, condition in which the arteries to your kidneys, brain or abdomen narrow, reducing blood flow to your organs.
The term "growing pains" may be a misnomer because there's no evidence that growth hurts. Still, the nighttime leg pain is real for many kids.
Hamstring injury — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, treatments, self-care, prevention of this leg muscle injury.
Back pain may mean you have a herniated disk — but not always. In fact, you can have disk herniation without pain. Here are the facts.
Legg-Calve-Perthes disease is a rare childhood hip condition that requires specialty care.
Your bones are made up of living tissue that's continually being renewed. Paget's disease of bone disrupts that process, sometimes causing serious complications.
One of the most feared diseases of the 20th century, polio has been eradicated from the developed world but remains a threat in less developed nations.
Porphyria is a group of inherited disorders that result from buildup of natural chemicals call porphyrins, which can cause nervous system and skin problems.
Rickets is a severe and prolonged vitamin D deficiency that leads to softening and weakening of the bones in children.
Sacroiliitis is one cause of low back pain and discomfort. It's an inflammation of the sacroiliac joints, which connect the lower spine and pelvis.
The term "shin splints" refers to pain along the shinbone. Shin splints are common among runners, particularly those just starting a running program.
April 06, 2013
- Kinirons M, et al. French's Index of Differential Diagnosis: An A-Z.15th ed. London, England: Hodder Arnold; 2011:349.
- Seller RH. Differential Diagnosis of Common Complaints. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007:269.
- Knee and leg. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/menus/leg.cfm. Accessed Jan. 25, 2013.
- Firestein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1807/0.html. Accessed Jan. 25, 2013.
- Wilkinson JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 3, 2013.