Avoiding wheat proteins is the best treatment for wheat allergy. Because wheat proteins appear in so many prepared foods, read product labels carefully.
- Antihistamines may reduce signs and symptoms of wheat allergies. These drugs can be taken after exposure to wheat to control your reaction and help relieve discomfort. Ask your doctor if a prescription or over-the-counter allergy drug is appropriate for you.
- Epinephrine is an emergency treatment for anaphylaxis. If you're at risk of having a severe reaction to wheat, you may need to carry two injectable doses of epinephrine (EpiPen, Auvi-Q, others) with you at all times. A second pen is recommended for people at high risk of life-threatening anaphylaxis in case anaphylactic symptoms return before emergency care is available.
Emergency medical care is essential for anyone who has an anaphylactic reaction to wheat, even after receiving an injection of epinephrine. Call 911 or your local emergency number as soon as possible.
May 17, 2014
- Wheat allergy. American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.acaai.org/allergist/allergies/Types/food-allergies/types/Pages/wheat-allergy.aspx. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- Sicherer SH. Food allergens: Overview of clinical features and cross-reactivity. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- Burks W. Clinical manifestations of food allergy: An overview. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- Wheat allergy. Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. http://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=9&sub=20&cont=519. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- Burks W. Diagnostic evaluation of food allergy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- Nolte H, et al. Overview of skin testing for allergic disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- Pietzak M. Celiac disease, wheat allergy and gluten sensitivity: When gluten free is not a fad. Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition. 2012;36:68S.
- Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of food allergy in the United States. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/_LAYOUTS/NIAID.Internet.Controls/SearchResults.aspx?getfields=description&q=Guidelines%20for%20the%20Diagnosis%20and%20Management%20of%20Food%20Allergy%20in%20the%20United%20States. Accessed March 10, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.