Complications of von Willebrand disease may include:
Jan. 02, 2014
- Anemia. Women who experience heavy menstrual bleeding can develop iron deficiency anemia.
- Swelling and pain. If abnormal bleeding occurs in the joints or soft tissue, swelling and severe pain can result.
- Death from bleeding. When abnormal bleeding can't be controlled, it can become life-threatening and needs emergency medical attention.
- The diagnosis, evaluation, and management of von Willebrand disease. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/vwd/index.htm. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Berntorp E. Von Willebrand disease. Pediatric Blood Cancer. 2013;60:s34.
- Rick ME. Clinical presentation and diagnosis of von Willebrand disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Rick ME. Treatment of von Willebrand disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Facts about von Willebrand disease. U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/vwd/facts.html. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Von Willebrand disease. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/hematology_and_oncology/thrombocytopenia_and_platelet_dysfunction/von_willebrand_disease.html. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- What is von Willebrand disease? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/vwd/printall-index.html. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.