Vitiligo occurs when melanin-forming cells (melanocytes) die or stop producing melanin — the pigment that gives your skin, hair and eyes color. The involved patches of skin become lighter or white. Doctors don't know why the cells fail or die. It may be related to:
May. 15, 2014
- A disorder in which your immune system attacks and destroys the melanocytes in the skin
- Family history (heredity)
- A trigger event, such as sunburn, stress or exposure to industrial chemicals
- Goldstein BG, et al. Vitiligo. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 9, 2013.
- Lebwohl MG, et al. Treatment of Skin Disease: Comprehensive Therapeutic Strategies. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier, 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 9, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014:5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 9, 2013.
- Whitton ME, et al. Interventions for vitiligo (review). Cochrane Database of Systemic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD003263.pub4/abstract. Accessed Dec. 9, 2013.
- Fleissig E, et al. Risk of sensorineural hearing loss in patients with vitiligo. Audiology and Neurotology. 2013;18:240.
- Silverberg JI, et al. Association between vitiligo extent and distribution and quality-of-life impairment. JAMA Dermatology. 2013;149:159.
- Valle Y, et al. Multidisciplinary approach to R&D in vitiligo, a neglected skin disease. Dermatologic Therapy 2013;25(suppl):1
- AskMayoExpert. Vitiligo (adult and pediatric). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Vitiligo. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/u---w/vitiligo. Accessed Dec. 20, 2013.
- Questions and answers about vitiligo. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Vitiligo/default.asp. Accessed Dec. 20, 2013.
- FDA sheds light on sunscreens. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm258416.htm. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.aad.org/media-resources/stats-and-facts/prevention-and-care/sunscreens#.UbdQaJzm9lP. Accessed Jan. 6, 2014.
- Calcipotriene. Micromedex 2.0 Healthcare Series. http://www.micromedexsolutions.com. Accessed Jan. 6, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.