Lifestyle and home remedies
If you're experiencing vaginal dryness or irritation, you may find relief if you:
- Try an over-the-counter moisturizer (Replens, Vagisil Feminine Moisturizer, others). This can restore some moisture to your vaginal area.
- Use an over-the-counter water-based lubricant (glycerin-free versions of Astroglide, K-Y Intrigue, others). This can reduce discomfort during intercourse.
- Allow time to become aroused during intercourse. The vaginal lubrication that results from sexual arousal can help reduce symptoms of dryness or burning.
Regular sexual activity, either with or without a partner, may help prevent genitourinary syndrome of menopause. Sexual activity increases blood flow to your vagina, which helps keep vaginal tissues healthy.
April 23, 2016
- Atrophic vaginitis. First consult. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 17, 2016.
- Bachman G, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of vaginal atrophy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 17, 2016.
- Menopause. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gynecology-and-obstetrics/menopause/menopause. Accessed Feb. 17, 2016.
- Palma F, et al. Vaginal atrophy of women in postmenopause. Results from a multicentric observational study: The AGATA study. Maturitas.2016;83:40.
- Bachman G, et al. Treatment of vaginal atrophy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 17, 2016.
- Goldman L, et al., eds. Menopause. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 17, 2016.
- Menopausal symptoms in depth. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/menopause/menopausesymptoms. Accessed Feb. 17, 2016.
- Thielen JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 23, 2016.
- Portman DJ, et al. Genitourinary syndrome of menopause: New terminology for vulvovaginal atrophy from the International Society for the Study of Women's Sexual Health and The North American Menopause Society. Menopause. 2014;21:1063.