Tests or exams to diagnose uterine prolapse include:
- Pelvic exam. During this exam, your doctor may ask you to bear down as if having a bowel movement, which can help assess how far the uterus has slipped into your vagina. To check the strength of your pelvic muscles, your doctor may ask you to tighten (contract) them, as if you're stopping the stream of urine. You may be examined while lying down and while standing up.
- Questionnaire. You may fill out a form that helps your doctor assess how uterine prolapse affects your quality of life. This information also helps guide treatment decisions.
Imaging tests, such as an ultrasound or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), aren't generally needed for uterine prolapse. But they're sometimes helpful in assessing the degree of prolapse.
Aug. 17, 2012
- Rogers RG, et al. An overview of the epidemiology, risk factors, clinical manifestations, and management of pelvic organ prolapse. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed July 3, 2012.
- Pelvic support problems. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq012.ashx. Accessed July 3, 2012.
- Lentz GM, et al. Comprehensive Gynecology. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/linkTo?type=bookPage&isbn=978-0-323-06986-1&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-06986-1..C2009-0-48752-X--TOP. Accessed July 3, 2012.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed July 3, 2012.
- Kuncharapu I, et al. Pelvic organ prolapse. American Family Physician. 2010;81:1111.
- Culligan PJ. Nonsurgical management of pelvic organ prolapse. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2012;119:852.
- Hagen R, et al. Conservative management of pelvic organ prolapse. Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Reproductive Medicine. 2012;22:118.
- Kenton K. Pelvic organ prolapse in women: Surgical repair of apical prolapse (uterine or vaginal vault prolapse). http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed July 5, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.