Uterine fibroids are noncancerous growths of the uterus that often appear during childbearing years. Also called leiomyomas (lie-o-my-O-muhs) or myomas, uterine fibroids aren't associated with an increased risk of uterine cancer and almost never develop into cancer.
Fibroids range in size from seedlings, undetectable by the human eye, to bulky masses that can distort and enlarge the uterus. You can have a single fibroid or multiple ones. In extreme cases, multiple fibroids can expand the uterus so much that it reaches the rib cage.
Many women have uterine fibroids sometime during their lives. But most women don't know they have uterine fibroids because they often cause no symptoms. Your doctor may discover fibroids incidentally during a pelvic exam or prenatal ultrasound.
Uterine fibroid care at Mayo Clinic
July 12, 2017
- Ferri FF. Uterine fibroids. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 11, 2016.
- Segars JH, et al. Proceedings from the third National Institutes of Health International Congress on advances in uterine leiomyoma research: Comprehensive review, conference summary and future recommendations. Human Reproduction Update. 2014;20:309.
- Stewart EA. Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and natural history of uterine leiomyomas (fibroids). https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed May 11, 2016.
- Stewart EA. Uterine fibroids. New England Journal of Medicine. 2015;372:1646.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Pelvic mass. In: Williams Obstetrics. 24th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com. Accessed May 11, 2016.
- Papadakis MA, et al., eds. Gynecologic disorders. In: Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2016. 55th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2016. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com. Accessed May 11, 2016.
- Stewart EA. Overview of treatment of uterine leiomyomas (fibroids). https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed May 11, 2016.
- Uterine fibroids. Natural Medicines. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com/. Accessed May 15, 2016.
- Liu JP, et al. Herbal preparations for uterine fibroids. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD005292.pub3/abstract. Accessed May 11, 2016.
- Cook AJ. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 25, 2016.
- Stewart EA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 13, 2016.
- Jefferies A, et al. Modern management of uterine fibroids. Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Reproductive Medicine. 2016;26:127.
- Updated laparoscopic uterine power morcellation in hysterectomy and myomectomy: FDA safety communication. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/medicaldevices/safety/alertsandnotices/ucm424443.htm. Accessed June 19, 2016.
- Laughlin-Tommaso SK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 15, 2017.