Triple X syndrome can cause developmental delays or learning disabilities, and it's possible that learning disabilities or delayed development could eventually lead to a variety of other issues, including academic problems, stress and poor socialization skills that cause social isolation.
Other possible, though much rarer, complications that may occur include:
Nov. 08, 2012
- Premature ovarian failure or ovary abnormalities. When the ovaries stop working before the expected age of menopause, there's a decline in the production of certain hormones and eggs are no longer released by the ovaries each month. This can cause infertility. Additionally, girls and women with triple X syndrome may have malformed ovaries.
- Seizures. Girls and women with triple X syndrome may develop a seizure disorder.
- Kidney abnormalities. Females born with triple X syndrome may also have abnormally developed kidneys or may have only one kidney.
- Triple X syndrome. U.S. National Library of Medicine's Genetics Home Reference. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/triple-x-syndrome. Accessed Sept. 9, 2012.
- 47 XXX syndrome. Genetics and Rare Diseases Information Center. http://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/GARD/Condition/5672/47_XXX_syndrome.aspx. Accessed Sept. 9, 2012.
- Afshun A. Triple X syndrome. Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association. 2012;62:392.
- Otter M, et al. Triple X syndrome: A review of the literature. European Journal of Human Genetics. 2010;18:265.
- Chromosome abnormalities. National Human Genome Research Institute. http://www.genome.gov/11508982#6. Accessed Sept. 10, 2012.
- Chromosomal abnormalities. March of Dimes. http://www.marchofdimes.com/baby/birthdefects_chromosomal.html. Accessed Sept. 11, 2012.
- Tartaglia NR, et al. A review of trisomy X (47,XXX). Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases. 2010;5:8.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.