Transient global amnesia has no direct complications, but it can cause emotional distress. If you have an episode, the gap in your memory can be unsettling, and you're likely to worry about a recurrence.
Also, a symptom as dramatic as memory loss often indicates a serious underlying disease. Transient global amnesia is an exception, but it can be hard to let go of the fear that you have a tumor or had a stroke.
If you need reassurance, ask your doctor to go over the results of your neurological exam and diagnostic tests with you. A counselor or psychotherapist can help you deal with persistent anxiety. Importantly, transient global amnesia is not a risk factor for stroke.
Jul. 18, 2014
- Kremen S, et al. Transient global amnesia. http://www.uptodate.com. Accessed May 13, 2014.
- Ropper AH, et al. Adams and Victor's Principles of Neurology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies;2009. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?bookid=354§ionid=40236331&jumpsectionID=40239659&Resultclick=2. Accessed May 13, 2014.
- Bartsch T. Transient amnesic syndromes. Nature Reviews Neurology. 2013;9:86.
- Transient global amnesia. The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/neurologic_disorders/function_and_dysfunction_of_the_cerebral_lobes/transient_global_amnesia.html?qt=transient global amnesia&alt=sh. Accessed May 13, 2014.
- Daroff RB, et al. Bradley's Neurology in Clinical Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier. 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 14, 2014.
- Lin KH, et al. Migraine is associated with a higher risk of transient global amnesia: A nationwide cohort study. European Journal of Neurology. 2014;21:718.
- Szabo K. Transient global amnesia. Frontiers in Neurology and Neuroscience. 2014;34:143.
- Petersen RC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 20, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.