The germs that cause viral and bacterial tonsillitis are contagious. Therefore, the best prevention is to practice good hygiene. Teach your child to:
- Wash his or her hands thoroughly and frequently, especially after using the toilet and before eating
- Avoid sharing food, drinking glasses, water bottles or utensils
- Replace his or her toothbrush after being diagnosed with tonsillitis
To help your child prevent the spread of a bacterial or viral infection to others:
July 17, 2015
- Keep your child at home when he or she is ill
- Ask your doctor when it's all right for your child to return to school
- Teach your child to cough or sneeze into a tissue or, when necessary, into his or her elbow
- Teach your child to wash his or her hands after sneezing or coughing
- Fact sheet: Tonsils and adenoids. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/?q=node/1432. Accessed June 2, 2015.
- Fact sheet: Tonsillitis. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/?q=node/1447. Accessed June 2, 2015.
- Tonsillopharyngitis. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/ear-nose-and-throat-disorders/oral-and-pharyngeal-disorders/tonsillopharyngitis. Accessed June 2, 2015.
- Paradise. Tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy in children: Indications and contraindications. http://www.uptodate.com/ home. Accessed June 1, 2015.
- Papadakis MA, et al, eds. Ear, nose, & throat disorders. In: Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2014. 53rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed June 2, 2015.
- Fact sheet: Tonsils and adenoids: Postop. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/content/tonsillectomy-and-adenoids-postop. Accessed June 2, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Tonsillitis. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 2, 2015.
- Stopping the spread of germs at home, work and school. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/stopgerms.htm. Accessed June 2, 2015.
- NINDS Reye's syndrome information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/reyes_syndrome/reyes_syndrome.htm. Accessed June 2, 2015.
- What is the role of aspirin in triggering Reye's? National Reye's Syndrome Foundation. http://www.reyessyndrome.org/aspirin.html. Accessed June 2, 2015.
- Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 4, 2015.
- Orvidas LJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 16, 2015.