- Experience. Each year, Mayo Clinic doctors diagnose and treat more than 8,000 people with spinal stenosis.
- Advanced diagnostics. Mayo Clinic patients have access to the latest imaging technology to accurately identify the source of your spinal problems.
- Cutting-edge surgical techniques. Mayo surgeons perform procedures, such as laminoplasty, that aren't available at many other hospitals. Computer-aided navigation is employed for some spinal stenosis operations. Minimally invasive procedures are used whenever possible, to speed your recovery.
- Team approach. Treating spinal stenosis involves specialists in neurology, orthopedics and physical rehabilitation. Mayo Clinic doctors work together to ensure you receive all the expertise needed to solve your problems.
- Efficient care. In many cases you can be diagnosed and start treatment in just a few days.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for neurology and neurosurgery in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery.
Nov. 18, 2015
- Spinal stenosis. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/spinal_stenosis. Accessed April 23, 2015.
- Goldman L, et al. Mechanical and other lesions of the spine, nerve roots and spinal cord. In: Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 23, 2015.
- Frontera WR. In: Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Musculoskeletal Disorders, Pain, and Rehabilitation. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 23, 2015.
- Cervical stenosis and myelopathy. North American Spine Society. http://www.knowyourback.org/pages/spinalconditions/degenerativeconditions/cstenosis_myelopathy_radiculopathy.aspx. Accessed April 23, 2015.
- Levin K. Lumbar spinal stenosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 23, 2015.
- Huddleston PM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 15, 2015.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Spine Surgery. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 24, 2015.