If your family doctor suspects that you have spinal stenosis, he or she may refer you to a doctor who specializes in disorders of the nervous system (neurologist). Depending on the severity of your symptoms, you might also be referred to a spinal surgeon.
What you can do
Before the appointment, you might want to prepare a list of answers to the following questions:
- When did you first notice this problem?
- Has it worsened with time?
- Have your parents or siblings ever had similar symptoms?
- Do you have other medical problems?
- What medications or supplements do you take regularly?
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor may ask some of the following questions:
Nov. 18, 2015
- Do you have pain? Where is it?
- Does any position ease the pain or worsen it?
- Do you have any weakness, numbness or tingling?
- Do you feel clumsier lately?
- Have you had any difficulty controlling your bowel or bladder?
- What treatments have you tried already for these problems?
- Spinal stenosis. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/spinal_stenosis. Accessed April 23, 2015.
- Goldman L, et al. Mechanical and other lesions of the spine, nerve roots and spinal cord. In: Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 23, 2015.
- Frontera WR. In: Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Musculoskeletal Disorders, Pain, and Rehabilitation. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 23, 2015.
- Cervical stenosis and myelopathy. North American Spine Society. http://www.knowyourback.org/pages/spinalconditions/degenerativeconditions/cstenosis_myelopathy_radiculopathy.aspx. Accessed April 23, 2015.
- Levin K. Lumbar spinal stenosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 23, 2015.
- Huddleston PM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 15, 2015.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Spine Surgery. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 24, 2015.