Most people with sick sinus syndrome initially have few or no symptoms. In some cases, symptoms may come and go.
When they do occur, sick sinus syndrome symptoms may include:
- Slower than normal pulse (bradycardia)
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Fainting or near fainting
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pains
- A sensation of rapid, fluttering heartbeats (palpitations)
Many of these signs and symptoms are caused by reduced blood flow to the brain when the heart beats too fast or too slowly.
When to see a doctor
If you have spells of lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting, fatigue, shortness of breath or palpitations, talk to your doctor. Many medical conditions can cause these signs and symptoms — including sick sinus syndrome — and it's important to identify the problem.
May 13, 2014
- Zipes DP, et al. Cardiac Elecrophysiology: From Cell to Bedside. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 8, 2014.
- Sinus node dysfunction. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/cardiovascular_disorders/arrhythmias_and_conduction_disorders/sinus_node_dysfunction.html. Accessed Jan. 8, 2014.
- Lau CP, et al. Prospective randomized study to assess the efficacy of site and rate of atrial pacing on long-term progression of atrial fibrillation in sick sinus syndrome: Septal pacing for atrial fibrillation suppression evaluation (SAFE) study. Circulation. 2013;128:687.
- Cheng A. Diagnosis and evaluation of the sick sinus syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 8, 2014.
- Cheng A. Manifestations and causes of the sick sinus syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 8, 2014.
- Semelka M, et al. Sick sinus syndrome: A review. American Family Physician. 2013;87:691.
- What is a pacemaker? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/pace/. Accessed Jan. 8, 2014.
- Tracy CM, et al. 2012 ACCF/AHA/HRS focused update incorporated into the ACCF/AHA/HRS 2008 guidelines for device-based therapy of cardiac rhythm abnormalities. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2013;61:e6.
- Non-surgical procedures for atrial fibrillation (Fib or AF). American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Arrhythmia/AboutArrhythmia/Non-surgical-Procedures-for-Atrial-Fibrillation-Fib-or-AF_UCM_423782_Article.jsp. Accessed Jan. 8, 2014.
- Your guide to a healthy heart. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/other/your_guide/yg_hh.htm. Accessed Jan. 8, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.