Alterations in orgasm are associated with reductions in emotional and physical satisfaction, which in turn may lead to stress for you and your partner. Retrograde ejaculation can be especially challenging if you and your partner want to conceive a child. While most men can get their female partners pregnant with infertility treatment, it can be costly and require stressful medical procedures for both you and your partner. Talking with a counselor may help.
Understanding all of your options and communicating with your doctor and partner can help.
Jan. 30, 2014
- Know what it will cost. Your insurance may or may not cover the costs necessary for sperm retrieval and artificial insemination of your partner.
- Talk to your doctor. Ask about all your options. You'll need to meet with a urologist who specializes in male infertility.
- Communicate with your partner. Make sure you and your partner both understand your options and potential risks of fertility procedures. You should both attend every consultation appointment.
- Ferri FF. Clinical Advisor 2014. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 9, 2013.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 9, 2013.
- Ohl DA, et al. Anejaculation and retrograde ejaculation. Urologic Clinics of North America. 2008;35:211.
- Jefferys A, et al. The management of retrograde ejaculation: a systematic review and update. Fertility and Sterility. 2012;97:306.
- Siassakos D, et al. Male infertility. American Urological Association. http://www.urologyhealth.org/urology/index.cfm?article=102&display=1. Accessed Aug. 9, 2013.
- Barnas JL, et al. The prevalence and nature of orgasmic dysfunction after radical prostatectomy. BJU International. 2004;94:603.
- Ten questions to ask before having an operation. American College of Surgeons. http://www.facs.org/patienteducation/patient-resources/surgery/tenquestions.html. Accessed Aug. 19, 2013.
- Speak up: Become a partner in your healthcare. National Institutes of Health. http://newsinhealth.nih.gov/2007/May/docs/01features_02.htm. Accessed Aug. 19, 2013.
- Anderson CF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 26, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.