Your doctor may suspect respiratory syncytial virus based on a physical exam and the time of year of the infection. During the exam, he or she may listen to the lungs with a stethoscope to check for wheezing or other abnormal sounds.
Your doctor may also use:
July 08, 2014
- Painless skin monitoring (pulse oximetry) to check whether the level of oxygen available in the bloodstream is lower than usual
- Blood tests to check white cell counts or to look for the presence of viruses, bacteria or other organisms
- Chest X-rays to check for pneumonia
- Lab tests of respiratory secretions from your nose that check for the virus
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 14, 2014.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 14, 2014.
- Respiratory syncytial virus infection (RSV). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/rsv. Accessed May 14, 2014.
- Understanding RSV. American Lung Association. http://www.lung.org/lung-disease/respiratory-syncytial-virus/understanding-rsv.html. Accessed May 14, 2014.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 15, 2014.
- Respiratory syncytial virus infection (RSV) — Treatment. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/rsv/understanding/Pages/treatment.aspx. Accessed May 15, 2014.
- Barr FE, et al. Respiratory syncytial virus infection: Treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 15, 2014.
- Symptom relief. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/getsmart/antibiotic-use/symptom-relief.html. Accessed May 15, 2014.
- Policy statement — Modified recommendations for use of Palivizumab for prevention of respiratory syncytial virus infections. American Academy of Pediatrics Policy. http://aappolicy.aappublications.org. Accessed May 14, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.