ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Without treatment, reactive attachment disorder can continue for several years and may have lifelong consequences. However, more research is needed to determine if problems in older children and adults are related to experiences of reactive attachment disorder in infancy and early childhood.
July 10, 2014
- Reactive attachment disorder of infancy or early childhood. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed April 9, 2014.
- Highlights of changes from DSM-IV-TR to DSM-5. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.dsm5.org/Pages/Default.aspx. Accessed April 9, 2014.
- Reactive attachment disorder. American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. http://www.aacap.org/aacap/Families_and_Youth/Facts_for_Families/Facts_for_Families_Pages/Reactive_Attachment_Disorder_85.aspx. Accessed April 9, 2014.
- Coercive interventions for reactive attachment disorder. American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/policy_statements/coercive_interventions_for_reactive_attachment_disorder. Accessed April 9, 2014.
- Boris NW, et al. Practice parameter for the assessment and treatment of children and adolescents with reactive attachment disorder of infancy and early childhood. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2005;44:1206.
- Hales RE, et al. The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry. 5th ed. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2008. http://www.psychiatryonline.org/resourceToc.aspx?resourceID=5. Accessed April 9, 2014.
- Chaffin M, et al. Report of the APSAC task force on attachment therapy, reactive attachment disorder, and attachment problems. Child Maltreatment. 2006;11:76.
- Position statement on reactive attachment disorder. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.psych.org/advocacy--newsroom/position-statements. Accessed April 9, 2014.
- Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 22, 2014.
- Tervo RC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 20, 2014.
- Mikic N, et al. Mentalization and attachment representations: A theoretical contribution to the understanding of reactive attachment disorder. Bulletin of the Menninger Clinic. 2014;78:34.