Factors that make you more susceptible to pulmonary fibrosis include:
Mar. 18, 2014
- Age. Although pulmonary fibrosis has been diagnosed in children and infants, the disorder is much more likely to affect middle-aged and older adults.
- Smoking. Far more smokers and former smokers develop pulmonary fibrosis than do people who have never smoked. Pulmonary fibrosis can occur in patients with emphysema.
- Your occupation. You have an increased risk of developing pulmonary fibrosis if you work in mining, farming or construction or if you're exposed to pollutants known to damage your lungs.
- Cancer treatments. Having radiation treatments to your chest or using certain chemotherapy drugs makes you more susceptible to pulmonary fibrosis.
- Genetic factors. Some types of pulmonary fibrosis appear to run in families, so a genetic component is suspected.
- Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/ipf/ipf_all.html. Accessed Oct. 24, 2013.
- Rakel RE. Textbook of Family Medicine. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 24, 2013. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191205553-4/0/1481/0.html#. Accessed Oct. 24, 2013.
- King TE. Approach to the adult with interstitial lung disease: Clinical evaluation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 24, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 24, 2013.
- King TE. Approach to the adult with interstitial lung disease: Diagnostic testing. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 24, 2013.
- Rosenow EC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 24, 2013.
- King TE. Treatment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 24, 2013.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/pulreh/pulreh_all.html. Accessed Oct. 24, 2013.
- Wells AU. The revised ATS/ERS/JRS/ALAT diagnostic criteria for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF): Practical implications. Respiratory Research. 2013;14(Suppl 1):S2.
- Kenn K, et al. Pulmonary rehabilitation in patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: A review. Respiration. 2013;86:89.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.