Pulmonary fibrosis occurs when lung tissue becomes damaged and scarred. This thickened, stiff tissue makes it more difficult for your lungs to work properly. As pulmonary fibrosis worsens, you become progressively more short of breath.
The scarring associated with pulmonary fibrosis can be caused by a multitude of factors. But in most cases, doctors can't pinpoint what's causing the problem. When a cause can't be found, the condition is termed idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.
The lung damage caused by pulmonary fibrosis can't be repaired, but medications and therapies can sometimes help ease symptoms and improve quality of life. For some people, a lung transplant might be appropriate.
Mar. 18, 2014
- Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/ipf/ipf_all.html. Accessed Oct. 24, 2013.
- Rakel RE. Textbook of Family Medicine. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 24, 2013. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191205553-4/0/1481/0.html#. Accessed Oct. 24, 2013.
- King TE. Approach to the adult with interstitial lung disease: Clinical evaluation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 24, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 24, 2013.
- King TE. Approach to the adult with interstitial lung disease: Diagnostic testing. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 24, 2013.
- Rosenow EC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 24, 2013.
- King TE. Treatment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 24, 2013.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/pulreh/pulreh_all.html. Accessed Oct. 24, 2013.
- Wells AU. The revised ATS/ERS/JRS/ALAT diagnostic criteria for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF): Practical implications. Respiratory Research. 2013;14(Suppl 1):S2.
- Kenn K, et al. Pulmonary rehabilitation in patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: A review. Respiration. 2013;86:89.