Mayo Clinic has made important contributions to research on primary sclerosing cholangitis. Mayo Clinic researchers were among the first to originally describe the disease. Other research done at Mayo has helped to refine diagnostic tests, improve treatment and assess the results of liver transplants for people with primary sclerosing cholangitis. Mayo researchers also developed mathematical models to help physicians predict long-term survival for people with primary sclerosing cholangitis.
Mayo researchers are currently studying the use of the fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) test in the diagnosis of bile duct cancer in people with primary sclerosing cholangitis. Another study is looking at genetic predisposition to primary sclerosing cholangitis.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic doctors on primary sclerosing cholangitis on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Apr. 09, 2011
- Ross AS, et al. Sclerosing cholangitis and recurrent pyogenic cholangitis. In: Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. Accessed March 3, 2011.
- Diagnosis and management of primary sclerosing cholangitis. Alexandria, Va.: American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases. http://www.aasld.org/practiceguidelines/Documents/Practice%20Guidelines/PSC_2-2010.pdf. Accessed March 3, 2011.
- Lopez MJ, et al. Primary sclerosing cholangitis and primary biliary cirrhosis. The American College of Gastroenterology. http://www.acg.gi.org/patients/gihealth/sclerosing.asp. Accessed March 3, 2011.
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/primarysclerosingcholangitis/index.htm. Accessed March 3, 2011.
- Liver health. American Liver Foundation. http://www.liverfoundation.org/abouttheliver/liverhealth/. Accessed March 3, 2011.
- Mendes F, et al. Primary and sclerosing cholangitis: Overview and update. Nature Reviews Gastroenterology & Hepatology. 2010;7:611.
- Rosenthal TC, et al. Fatigue: An overview. American Family Physician. 2008;78:1173.