Because primary immune disorders are caused by genetic defects, there's no way to prevent them. But when you or your child has a weakened immune system, you can take steps to prevent infections:
Jan. 20, 2015
- Practice good hygiene. Wash your hands with mild soap after using the toilet and before eating.
- Take care of your teeth. Brush your teeth at least twice a day.
- Eat right. A healthy, balanced diet can help prevent infections.
- Be physically active. Staying fit is important to your overall health. Ask your doctor what activities are appropriate for you.
- Get enough sleep. Try to go to sleep and get up at the same time daily and get the same number of hours of sleep every night.
- Manage stress. Some studies suggest that stress can hamper your immune system. Keep stress in check with massage, meditation, yoga, biofeedback or hobbies. Find what works for you.
- Avoid exposure. Stay away from people with colds or other infections and avoid crowds.
- Ask your doctor about vaccinations. Find out which ones you should have.
- Primary immunodeficiency. National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. http://www.nichd.nih.gov/publications/pubs/Pages/primary_immuno.aspx. Accessed Nov. 23, 2014.
- About primary immunodeficiencies. Immune Deficiency Foundation. http://primaryimmune.org/about-primary-immunodeficiencies/. Accessed Dec. 2, 2014.
- Pasternack MS. Approach to the adult with recurrent infections. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 23, 2014.
- Stiehm ER. Approach to the child with recurrent infections. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 23, 2014.
- Primary immunodeficiency diseases. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/primary-immunodeficiency-disease.aspx. Accessed Nov. 23, 2014.
- Berger M. Immune globulin therapy in primary immunodeficiency. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 23, 2014.
- General care. Immune Deficiency Foundation. http://primaryimmune.org/about-primary-immunodeficiencies/relevant-info/general-care/. Accessed Nov. 3, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.