- Experience. Mayo Clinic is one of the leading treatment centers for primary biliary cirrhosis in the United States. You benefit from the experience of specialists who treat more than 900 people each year for primary biliary cirrhosis.
- Latest tests. Mayo Clinic offers the latest diagnostic tests for primary biliary cirrhosis, including magnetic resonance elastography, a noninvasive imaging technique developed at Mayo Clinic.
- Research advances. You have access to the latest diagnosis and treatment advances at Mayo Clinic, which has been conducting research on primary biliary cirrhosis for more than 40 years. Mayo Clinic researchers have made significant contributions to understanding its cause, including helping to find several gene variations that seem to predispose people to primary biliary cirrhosis.
- Excellence in liver transplants. Surgeons in the Transplant Center at Mayo Clinic have performed more than 5,000 procedures in the liver transplant program, with survival rates exceeding the national average. People with primary biliary cirrhosis who receive transplants have particularly high survival rates — 87 percent after five years in one study of 100 patients.
- Team approach. Liver specialists, radiologists, pathologists and surgeons work together as a team to provide comprehensive and coordinated care for people with primary biliary cirrhosis.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks #1 for digestive disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., is ranked among the Best Hospitals and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked high performing for digestive disorders by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Aug. 01, 2014
- Angulo P, et al. Primary biliary cirrhosis. In: Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. Accessed Oct. 5, 2011.
- Liver biopsy. Alexandria, Va.: American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases. http://www.aasld.org/practiceguidelines/Documents/Bookmarked%20Practice%20Guidelines/PrimaryBillaryCirrhosis7-2009.pdf. Accessed Oct. 5, 2011.
- Primary biliary cirrhosis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/primarybiliarycirrhosis/index.aspx. Accessed Oct. 5, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.