Depending on the probable cause of the priapism, steps to prevent recurrent priapism may include:
Jun. 15, 2013
- Treating the disease that may have caused priapism
- Changing medications if a prescription medication was the probable cause
- Avoiding triggers, such as alcohol or illegal drugs
- Self-injection of phenylephrine to stop prolonged erections
- Hormone-blocking medications — only for adult men
- Priapism. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/print/sec17/ch226/ch226j.html. Accessed March 14, 2013.
- AUA guideline on the management of priapism. Linthicum, Md.: American Urological Association Education and Research Inc. http://www.auanet.org/content/guidelines-and-quality-care/clinical-guidelines.cfm?sub=priapism. Accessed March 14, 2013.
- Broderick GA, et al. Priapism: Pathogenesis, epidemiology, and management. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2010;7:476.
- Burnett AL, et al. Priapism: Current principles and practice. Urology Clinics of North America. 2007;34:631.
- Deveci S. Priapism. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 14, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.