Ischemic priapism can cause serious complications. The blood trapped in the penis is deprived of oxygen. When an erection lasts for longer than four hours, this oxygen-poor blood can begin to damage or destroy tissues in the penis. As a result, untreated priapism may cause:
Jun. 15, 2013
- Erectile dysfunction, the inability of the penis to become or stay erect with sexual arousal
- Disfigurement of the penis
- Priapism. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/print/sec17/ch226/ch226j.html. Accessed March 14, 2013.
- AUA guideline on the management of priapism. Linthicum, Md.: American Urological Association Education and Research Inc. http://www.auanet.org/content/guidelines-and-quality-care/clinical-guidelines.cfm?sub=priapism. Accessed March 14, 2013.
- Broderick GA, et al. Priapism: Pathogenesis, epidemiology, and management. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2010;7:476.
- Burnett AL, et al. Priapism: Current principles and practice. Urology Clinics of North America. 2007;34:631.
- Deveci S. Priapism. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 14, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.