ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Symptoms of polymyalgia rheumatica can greatly affect your ability to perform everyday activities. The pain and stiffness may contribute to difficulties with tasks such as the following:
- Getting out of bed, standing up from a chair or getting out of a car
- Bathing or combing your hair
- Getting dressed or putting on a coat
These difficulties can affect your health, social interactions, physical activity, sleep and general well-being.
In addition, people with polymyalgia rheumatica seem to be more likely to develop peripheral arterial disease.
Sept. 17, 2015
- Kermani TA, et al. Polymyalgia rheumatica. The Lancet. 2013;381:63.
- AskMayoExpert. Polymyalgia rheumatica. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Bhaskar D, et al. 2012 provisional classification criteria for polymyalgia rheumatica: A European League Against Rheumatism/American College of Rheumatology collaborative initiative. Arthritis & Rheumatism. 2012;64:943.
- Kermani TA, et al. Advances and challenges in the diagnosis and treatment of polymyalgia rheumatica. Therapeutic Advances in Musculoskeletal Disease. 2014;6:8.
- Wyand CM, et al. Giant-cell arteritis and polymyalgia rheumatica. New England Journal of Medicine. 2014;371:50.
- Salvarani C, et al. Clinical features of polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritis. Nature Reviews Rheumatology. 2012;8:509.
- Matteson EL, et al. Diagnosis and assessment of polymyalgia rheumatica: A step forward. Aging Health. 2012;8:395.
- Aikawa NE, et al. Anti-TNF therapy for polymyalgia rheumatica: Report of 99 cases and review of the literature. Clinical Rheumatology. 2012;31:575.
- Glucocorticosteroid-induced osteoporosis. American College of Rheumatology. http://www.rheumatology.org/practice/clinical/patients/diseases_and_conditions/gi-osteoporosis.asp. Accessed May 1, 2015.
- Saag KG, et al. Major side effects of systemic glucocorticoids. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 7, 2015.
- Colditz GA. Healthy diet in adults. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 18, 2015.
- Dejaco C, et al. 2015 recommendations for the management of polymyalgia rheumatic. Arthritis & Rheumatology. 2015;67:2569.