Placenta accreta is a serious pregnancy condition that occurs when blood vessels and other parts of the placenta grow too deeply into the uterine wall.
Typically, the placenta detaches from the uterine wall after childbirth. With placenta accreta, part or all of the placenta remains firmly attached. This can cause severe blood loss after delivery.
It's also possible for the placenta to invade the muscles of the uterus (placenta increta) or grow through the uterine wall (placenta percreta).
Placenta accreta is considered a high-risk pregnancy complication. If placenta accreta is suspected during pregnancy, you'll likely need an early C-section delivery followed by the surgical removal of your uterus (hysterectomy).
Mar. 28, 2015
- Wortman AC, et al. Placenta accreta, increta, and percreta. Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinics of North America. 2013;40:137.
- Creasy RK, et al. Placenta previa, placenta accreta, abruptio placentae, and vasa previa. In: Creasy and Resnik's Maternal-Fetal Medicine: Principles and Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 3, 2015.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Placental abnormalities. In: Williams Obstetrics. 24th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Feb. 3, 2015.
- Resnik R. Clinical features and diagnosis of placenta accreta, increta, and percreta. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 4, 2015.
- Eshkoli T, et al. Placenta accreta: Risk factors, perinatal outcomes, and consequences for subsequent births. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2013;208:219e1.
- Resnik R. Management of placenta accreta, increta, and percreta. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 4, 2015.
- Legendre G, et al. Conservative management of placenta accreta: Hysteroscopic resection of retained tissues. The Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology. 2014;21:910.
- Relaxation techniques for health: An introduction. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/stress/relaxation.htm. Accessed Feb. 5, 2015.
- Wick MJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 19, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.