Peyronie's (pay-roe-NEEZ) disease is the development of fibrous scar tissue inside the penis that causes curved, painful erections.
Men's penises vary in shape and size. Having a curved erection is common and isn't necessarily a cause for concern. However, in some men, Peyronie's disease causes a significant bend or pain.
This can prevent a man from having sex or might make it difficult to get or maintain an erection (erectile dysfunction). For many men, Peyronie's disease also causes stress and anxiety.
In a small percentage of men, Peyronie's disease goes away on its own. But in most cases, it will remain stable or worsen. Treatment might be needed if the curvature is severe enough that it prevents successful sexual intercourse.
Jul. 19, 2014
- Hatzimouratidis K, et al. EAU guidelines on penile curvature. European Urology. 2012;62:543.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 11, 2014.
- Brandt WO, et al. Peyronie's disease: Diagnosis and medical management. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 11, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 11, 2014.
- Peyronie's disease. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/peyronie. Accessed May 11, 2014.
- Brandt WO, et al. Surgical management of Peyronie's disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 11, 2014.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 23, 2014.
- FDA approves first drug for treatment of Peyronie's disease. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsroom/pressannouncements/ucm377849.htm. Accessed May 11, 2014.
- Trost LW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 28, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.