Signs and symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease may include:
- Pain in your lower abdomen and pelvis
- Heavy vaginal discharge with an unpleasant odor
- Irregular menstrual bleeding
- Pain during intercourse
- Painful or difficult urination
PID may cause only minor signs and symptoms or none at all. PID with mild or no symptoms is especially common when the infection is due to chlamydia.
When to see a doctor
Go to the emergency room if you experience the following severe signs and symptoms of PID:
- Severe pain low in your abdomen
- Signs of shock, such as fainting
- Fever, with a temperature higher than 101 F (38.3 C)
If your signs and symptoms aren't severe, but they're persistent, see your doctor as soon as possible. Vaginal discharge with an odor, painful urination or bleeding between menstrual cycles can be associated with a sexually transmitted infection (STI). If these signs and symptoms appear, stop having sex and see your doctor soon. Prompt treatment of an STI can help prevent PID.
May 01, 2014
- Mitchell C, et al. Pelvic inflammatory disease — Current concepts in pathogenesis, diagnosis and treatment. Infectious Disease Clinics of North America. 2013;27:793.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease fact sheet. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/std/pid/stdfact-pid.htm. Accessed Feb. 6, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 6, 2014.
- Klausner JD, et al., Klausner J.D., Hook E.W., III eds. Current Diagnosis & Treatment of Sexually Transmitted Diseases. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2007. http:// http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookid=369. Accessed Feb. 7, 2014.
- Trent M. Pelvic inflammatory disease. Pediatrics in Review. 2013;34:163.
- Livengood CH, et al. Clinical features and diagnosis of pelvic inflammatory disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 7, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.