Generally, a patent foramen ovale doesn't cause complications. But some studies have found the disorder is more common in people with certain conditions, such as unexplained stroke and migraine with aura.
In most cases, there are other reasons for these neurologic conditions, and it's just a coincidence the person also has a patent foramen ovale. However, in some cases, small blood clots in the heart may move through a patent foramen ovale, travel to the brain and cause a stroke.
The possible link between patent foramen ovale and stroke or migraine is controversial, and research studies are ongoing.
In rare cases a patent foramen ovale can cause a significant amount of blood to bypass the lungs, resulting in low blood oxygen levels (hypoxia).
July 16, 2015
- Patent foramen ovale (PFO). American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/CardiovascularConditionsofChildhood/Patent-Foramen-Ovale-PFO_UCM_469590_Article.jsp. Accessed May 28, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Patent foramen ovale. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 28, 2015.
- Hara H. Patent foramen ovale. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 28, 2015.
- Dattilo PB, et al. Patent foramen ovale. Cardiology Clinics. 2013;31:401.
- Kutty S, et al. Patent foramen ovale. The known and the to be known. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2012;59:1665.
- Messe SR, et al. Treatment of atrial septal abnormalities (PFO, ASD, and ASA) for prevention of stroke in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 28, 2015.
- What to expect during echocardiography. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/echo/during. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- How the heart works. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/chd/heartworks. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- Meschia JF, et al. Guidelines for the primary prevention of stroke: A statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke. 2014;45;3754.
- Furie KL, et al. Overview of secondary prevention of ischemic stroke. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 4, 2015.
- Sabate Rotes A, et al. Minimally invasive video-assisted surgical closure of atrial septal defects: A safe approach. World Journal for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery. 2014;5:527.
- Fenster BE, et al. Effectiveness of percutaneous closure of patent foramen ovale for hypoxemia. The American Journal of Cardiology. 2013;112:1258.
- AskMayoExpert. Patent foramen ovale. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Lo TT, et al. Should a patent foramen ovale found incidentally during isolated coronary surgery be closed? Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery. 2011;12:794.
- Mankad R (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 22, 2015.