To reduce your risk of complications associated with Paget's disease of bone, try these tips:
Feb. 13, 2013
- Prevent falls. Paget's disease puts you at high risk of bone fractures. Ask your doctor for advice on preventing falls. He or she may recommend that you use a cane or a walker. Take measures to fall-proof your home. Remove slippery floor coverings, use nonskid mats in your bathtub or shower, tuck away cords, and install handrails on stairways and grab bars in your bathroom.
- Eat well. Be sure your diet includes adequate levels of calcium and vitamin D, which facilitates the absorption of calcium. This is especially important if you're being treated with bisphosphonates. Review your diet with your doctor and ask if you should begin taking vitamin and calcium supplements.
- Exercise regularly. Exercising on a regular basis is essential for maintaining joint mobility and bone strength. Talk to your doctor before beginning an exercise program to determine the right type, duration and intensity of exercise for you. Some activities may place too much stress on your affected bones.
- Paget's disease of bone. National Institutes of Health Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases: National Resource Center. http://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/Pagets/default.asp. Accessed Dec. 11. 2012.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Dec. 11, 2012.
- Paget's disease of bone. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00076. Accessed Dec. 11, 2012.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed Dec. 11, 2012.
- Seton M. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of Paget disease of bone. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Dec. 11, 2012.
- Firestein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1807/0.html. Accessed Dec. 11, 2012.
- Seton M. Treatment of Paget disease of bone. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Dec. 11, 2012.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 14, 2013.
- Rosen HN. Bisphosphonates in the management of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Jan. 15, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.