Factors that may increase the risk of developing or triggering obsessive-compulsive disorder include:
Aug. 09, 2013
- Family history. Having parents or other family members with the disorder can increase your risk of developing OCD.
- Stressful life events. If you've experienced traumatic or stressful events or you tend to react strongly to stress, your risk may increase. This reaction may, for some reason, trigger the intrusive thoughts, rituals and emotional distress characteristic of OCD.
- Golden, AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 4, 2013.
- Obsessive-compulsive and related disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Obsessive compulsive disorder. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.psychiatry.org/obsessive-compulsive-disorder. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder. National Alliance on Mental Illness. http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=By_Illness&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=142546. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/psychiatric_disorders/anxiety_disorders/obsessive-compulsive_disorder_ocd.html?qt=obsessive-compulsive disorder&alt=sh. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- What is obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)? National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/index.shtml. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Simpson HB. Obsessive-compulsive disorder in adults: Epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, course, and diagnosis. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Mental health medications. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/mental-health-medications/complete-index.shtml. Accessed May 14, 2013.
- Managing anxiety. Anxiety and Depression Association of America. http://www.adaa.org/living-with-anxiety/managing-anxiety. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Biggs BK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 15, 2013.
- Whiteside SP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 16, 2013.
- Buss Preszler LK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 8, 2013.
- 2012-2013 Research report: Psychiatry and psychology. Mayo Clinic. http://www.mayo.edu/pmts/mc0700-mc0799/mc0710-11.pdf. Accessed July 22, 2013.