Most people with mitral valve prolapse lead normal, productive and symptom-free lives.
Doctors generally won't recommend restrictions on your lifestyle or any limitations on your personal exercise or dietary program. However, ask your doctor if he or she recommends any changes to your lifestyle. If you have severe mitral valve regurgitation, your doctor may recommend certain exercise limitations.
Your doctor may recommend regular follow-up visits to evaluate your condition.
You can't prevent mitral valve prolapse. However, you can lower your chances of developing the complications associated with it by making sure you take your medications, if any, as directed.
Feb. 11, 2017
- Pislaru S, et al. Definition and diagnosis of mitral valve prolapse. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 23, 2016.
- What is mitral valve prolapse? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/mvp/. Accessed Nov. 23, 2016.
- Ferri FF. Mitral valve prolapse. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2017. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov 23, 2016.
- Bope ET, et al. The cardiovascular system. In: Conn's Current Therapy 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 23, 2016.
- Nishimura RA, et al. 2014 AHA/ACC Guideline for the Management of Patients With Valvular Heart Disease: Executive Summary. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2014;63:2438.
- American Heart Association. Problem: Mitral valve prolapse. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/HeartValveProblemsandDisease/Problem-Mitral-Valve-Prolapse_UCM_450441_Article.jsp#.WDJJF9UrJ0w. Accessed Nov. 23, 2016.
- American Heart Association. Atrial fibrillation medications. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Arrhythmia/AboutArrhythmia/Atrial-Fibrillation-Medications_UCM_423781_Article.jsp#.WDJKytUrJ0w. Accessed Nov. 23, 2016.
- American Heart Association. Warning signs of a heart attack. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartAttack/WarningSignsofaHeartAttack/Warning-Signs-of-a-Heart-Attack_UCM_002039_Article.jsp#.WDJNgtUrJ0w. Accessed Nov. 23, 2016.
- Shiota T. Role of echocardiography for catheter-based management of valvular heart disease. Journal of Cardiology. In press. Accessed Nov. 23, 2016.
- Mitral regurgitation (adult). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Mankad R (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 20, 2016.