When you're serious about sports, your metatarsals may take a beating. But that doesn't mean you have to live with pain and injuries. To help protect your feet:
- Choose the right shoes. Wearing high heels or too-small shoes can set the stage for a host of foot problems, including metatarsalgia. The same is true of shoes that don't provide enough support and cushioning. Look for shoes with a wide toe box and a rocker sole, which redistribute weight on the bottom of your foot.
- Consider cushioned insoles or arch supports. These products can help prevent the pain of metatarsalgia — as well as relieve the pain when it develops.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Keeping your weight within a healthy range can take a load off your feet.
If you're recovering from an injury, don't try to resume strenuous activity too soon. If you're not completely healed — or you train through the pain — you may develop more severe problems that limit your activity even longer.
Jan. 25, 2011
- Maguire S. Metatarsalgia. In: Frontera WR, et al. Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Musculoskeletal Disorders, Pain, and Rehabilitation. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1678/0.html. Accessed Dec. 9, 2010.
- Metatarsalgia. The American College of Foot & Ankle Orthopedics & Medicine. http://www.acfaom.org/metatarsalgia.shtml. Accessed Dec. 9, 2010.
- Bunions. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00155. Accessed Dec. 9, 2010.
- Morton's neuroma. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00158. Accessed Dec. 9, 2010.
- Mann JA, et al. Foot & ankle surgery. In: Skinner HB. Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Orthopedics. 4th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Medical; 2006. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=2321820. Accessed Dec. 9, 2010.
- Callahan LR, et al. Overview of running injuries of the lower extremity. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 9, 2010.