Mammary duct ectasia often doesn't cause any signs or symptoms. If you do experience signs and symptoms, you may notice:
- A dirty white, greenish or black nipple discharge from one or both nipples
- Tenderness in the nipple or surrounding breast tissue
- Redness of the nipple and sometimes the surrounding area
- A breast lump or thickening near the clogged duct
- A nipple that's turned inward (inverted)
A bacterial infection called mastitis also may develop in the affected milk duct, causing breast tenderness, inflammation in the area around the nipple (areola) and fever. Signs and symptoms of mammary duct ectasia may improve on their own.
When to see a doctor
Make an appointment with your doctor for evaluation if you notice changes in your breasts — such as a new breast lump, spontaneous nipple discharge or an inverted nipple — that are persistent or that worry you.
May 01, 2015
- Rosai J. Breast. In: Rosai and Ackerman's Surgical Pathology. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 5, 2015.
- Onstad M, et al. Benign breast disorders. Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinics of North America. 2013;3:459.
- Noncancerous breast conditions. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/healthy/findcancerearly/womenshealth/non-cancerousbreastconditions/non-cancerous-breast-conditions-duct-ectasia. Accessed Feb. 5, 2015.
- Dabbs DJ. Reactive and inflammatory conditions of the breast. In: Breast Pathology. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 5, 2015.
- Diagnosis of breast disease. Bloomington, Minn.: Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement (ICSI); 2012. https://www.icsi.org/_asset/v9l91q/DxBrDis.pdf. Accessed Feb. 5, 2015.
- Huttunen R, et al. Smoking and the outcome of infection. Journal of Internal Medicine. 2011;3:258. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10.1111/j.1365-2796.2010.02332.x/asset/j.1365-2796.2010.02332.x.pdf;jsessionid=7E1BAE92F9DEA056669010BBC8721234.f03t01?v=1&t=i6ify7dg&s=582ed53a179e537e7c6ffffad0230dc4cbc1d013. Accessed Feb. 5, 2015.
- Pruthi S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 7, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.