To relieve discomfort associated with mammary duct ectasia, you might try these self-care measures:
May 01, 2015
- Apply warm compresses. A warm compress applied to your nipple and surrounding area may soothe painful breast tissue.
- Use breast pads for nipple discharge. Using breast pads or nursing pads can keep fluid from leaking through your clothing. These pads are available at drugstores and many retail stores that sell baby-care products.
- Wear a support bra. Choose bras with good support to minimize breast discomfort. A well-fitting bra can also help keep a breast pad in place to absorb nipple discharge.
- Sleep on the opposite side. Avoid sleeping on the same side of your body as your affected breast to help prevent swelling and further discomfort.
- Stop smoking. Smoking may make it harder to treat an infection, and ongoing smoking may result in recurrent infections or an abscess.
- Rosai J. Breast. In: Rosai and Ackerman's Surgical Pathology. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 5, 2015.
- Onstad M, et al. Benign breast disorders. Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinics of North America. 2013;3:459.
- Noncancerous breast conditions. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/healthy/findcancerearly/womenshealth/non-cancerousbreastconditions/non-cancerous-breast-conditions-duct-ectasia. Accessed Feb. 5, 2015.
- Dabbs DJ. Reactive and inflammatory conditions of the breast. In: Breast Pathology. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 5, 2015.
- Diagnosis of breast disease. Bloomington, Minn.: Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement (ICSI); 2012. https://www.icsi.org/_asset/v9l91q/DxBrDis.pdf. Accessed Feb. 5, 2015.
- Huttunen R, et al. Smoking and the outcome of infection. Journal of Internal Medicine. 2011;3:258. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10.1111/j.1365-2796.2010.02332.x/asset/j.1365-2796.2010.02332.x.pdf;jsessionid=7E1BAE92F9DEA056669010BBC8721234.f03t01?v=1&t=i6ify7dg&s=582ed53a179e537e7c6ffffad0230dc4cbc1d013. Accessed Feb. 5, 2015.
- Pruthi S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 7, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.