Approximately 15 percent of couples are infertile. This means they aren't able to conceive a child even though they've had frequent, unprotected sexual intercourse for a year or longer. In about half of these couples, male infertility plays a role.
Male infertility is due to low sperm production, misshapen or immobile sperm, or blockages that prevent the delivery of sperm. Illnesses, injuries, chronic health problems, lifestyle choices and other factors can play a role in causing male infertility.
Not being able to conceive a child can be stressful and frustrating, but a number of male infertility treatments are available.
Sep. 15, 2012
- European Association of Urology Guidelines on Male Infertility: The 2012 Update. Arnhem, Netherlands: European Association of Urology. http://www.uroweb.org/guidelines/online-guidelines. Accessed July 20, 2012.
- McPhee SJ, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2012. 51st ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed July 20, 2012.
- Swerdloff RF, et al. Causes of male infertility. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index. Accessed July 19, 2012.
- Patel ZP, et al. Male factor assessment in infertility. Medical Clinics of North America. 2011;95:223.
- The optimal evaluation of the infertile male: AUA best practice statement. Linthicum, Md.: American Urological Association Education and Research, Inc. http://www.guideline.gov/content.aspx?id=23921&search=male+infertility. Accessed July 19, 2012.
- Loughlin KR. Changes in male fertility in the last two decades. Urology Clinics of North America. 2012;39:33.
- Asplund C, et al. Genitourinary problems in bicyclists. Current Sports Medicine Reports. 2007;6:333.
- Frey KA. Male reproductive health and infertility. Primary Care Clinics Office Practice. 2010;37:643.
- Swerdloff RF, et al. Evaluation of male infertility. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index. Accessed July 19, 2012.
- Showell MG, et al. Antioxidants for male subfertility. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD007411.pub2/abstract. Accessed July 23, 2012.
- Patel SR, et al. Antioxidant therapy in male infertility. Urology Clinics of North America. 2008;35:319.
- De Celis R, et al. Semen quality of workers occupationally exposed to hydrocarbons. Fertility and Sterility. 2000;73:221.
- Swan SH. Semen quality in fertile US men in relation to geographical area and pesticide exposure exposed to hydrocarbons. International Journal of Andrology. 2006;26:62.
- El-Helaly M, et al. Workplace exposures and male infertility - A case control study. International Journal of Occupational Medicine and Environmental Health 2010;23:331.
- Murphy LE, et al. Folate and vitamin B12 in idiopathic male infertility. Asian Journal of Andrology. 2011;13:856.
- Lenzi A, et al. Use of carnitine therapy in selected cases of male factor infertility: A double-blind crossover trial. Fertility and Sterility. 2003;79:292.
- Ross C, et al. A systematic review of the effect of oral antioxidants on male infertility. Reproductive BioMedicine Online. 2010;20:711.
- Menezeo Y, et al. Antioxidants to reduce sperm DNA fragmentation: An unexpected adverse effect. Reproductive BioMedicine Online. 2007;14:418.