Hypoparathyroidism may result in numerous complications.
The following complications are due to low calcium levels, most of which are likely to improve with adequate treatment:
- Tetany. These cramp-like spasms of your hands and fingers may be prolonged and painful. Tetany may also include muscle discomfort and twitches or spasms of the muscles of your face, throat or arms. When these spasms occur in your throat, they can interfere with breathing, creating a potential emergency.
- Paresthesias. These are characterized by sensory symptoms of odd, tingling sensations or pins and needles feelings in your lips, tongue, fingers and feet.
- Loss of consciousness with convulsions (grand mal seizures).
- Malformation of the teeth, affecting dental enamel and roots.
- Impaired kidney function.
- Heart arrhythmias and fainting, even heart failure.
Accurate diagnosis and effective treatment may prevent these complications associated with hypoparathyroidism, but once present, they won't improve with calcium and vitamin D treatment:
May. 09, 2014
- Stunted growth (short stature)
- Slow mental development (or mental retardation) in children
- Calcium deposits in the brain, which can cause balance problems and seizures
- Hypoparathyroidism. Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health & Human Development. http://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/hypopara/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed Dec. 23, 2013.
- Hypoparathyroidism. The Hormone Health Network. http://www.hormone.org/search-page?q=hypoparathyroidism. Accessed Dec. 23, 2013.
- Goltzman D. Treatment of hypocalcemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 23, 2013.
- Goltzman D. Diagnostic approach to hypocalcemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 23, 2013.
- Fong J, et al. Hypocalcemia: Updates in diagnosis and management for primary care. Canadian Family Physician. 2012;58:158.
- Bilezikian JP, et al. Hypoparathyroidism in the adult: Epidemiology, diagnosis, pathophysiology, target-organ involvement, treatment and challenges for future research. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research. 2011;26:2317.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.