Hypercalcemia is a condition in which the calcium level in your blood is above normal. Too much calcium in your blood can weaken your bones, create kidney stones, and interfere with the way your heart and brain works.
Hypercalcemia most commonly results from overactive parathyroid glands. These four tiny glands are each about the size of a grain of rice and are located on or near the thyroid gland. Other causes of hypercalcemia include cancer, certain other medical disorders, some medications, and excessive use of calcium and vitamin D supplements.
Signs and symptoms of hypercalcemia may range from nonexistent to severe. Treatment depends on the underlying cause.
April 25, 2014
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Shane E. Clinical manifestations of hypercalcemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 3, 2014.
- Primary hyperparathyroidism. National Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases Information Service. http://endocrine.niddk.nih.gov/pubs/hyper. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Horwitz MJ. Hypercalcemia of malignancy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Papadakis MA, ed., et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2014. 53rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Hypercalcemia. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Shane E, et al. Treatment of hypercalcemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Osteoporosis overview. NIH Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases National Resource Center. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Bone/Osteoporosis/overview.asp. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.