Signs and symptoms of Hurthle cell cancer may include:
- A fast-growing lump in your neck, just below your Adam's apple
- Pain in your neck or throat
- Hoarseness or other changes in your voice
- Shortness of breath
- Swallowing difficulty
These signs and symptoms don't necessarily mean you have Hurthle cell cancer. They may be indications of other medical conditions — such as inflammation of the thyroid gland or a noncancerous enlargement of the thyroid (goiter).
When to see a doctor
Make an appointment with your doctor if you have any signs or symptoms that worry you.
Jan. 24, 2015
- Flint PW, et al. Cummings Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 17, 2014.
- Thyroid carcinoma. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Sept. 17, 2014.
- Niederhuber JE, et al., eds. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 17, 2014.
- Auger M. Hurthle cells in fine-needle aspirants of the thyroid: A review of their diagnostic criteria and significance. Cancer Cytopathology. 2014;122:241.
- AskMayoExpert. What are differentiated thyroid cancers (DTCs)? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Revised American Thyroid Association management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer. Falls Church, Va.: American Thyroid Association. http://thyroidguidelines.net/revised/taskforce. Accessed Sept. 17, 2014.
- Tuttle RM. Differentiated thyroid cancer: Radioiodine treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 11, 2014.
- What you need to know about thyroid cancer. National Cancer Institute. http://cancer.gov/cancertopics/wyntk/thyroid. Accessed Nov. 11, 2014.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 15, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.