You may initially seek advice about your hot flashes from your family doctor or gynecologist.
What you can do
Before your appointment you may want to write a list of answers to the following questions:
- Have your menstrual periods become irregular or absent?
- What date did your last period begin?
- How often do your hot flashes occur?
- Are there any activities that trigger your hot flashes?
- What medications and supplements do you take regularly?
A list of questions to ask your doctor may also be useful:
- What treatments are available for hot flashes?
- What are the risks involved with these treatments?
- Do you have any pamphlets that help explain this topic?
- Will I need any tests? If so, what kind?
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor may ask you some of the following questions:
Jun. 11, 2011
- When did your hot flashes begin?
- Does anything make them better or worse?
- Have you had a hysterectomy?
- Have you ever had breast cancer?
- Grady D, et al. Menopausal symptoms. In: Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 23rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed April 14, 2011.
- Midlife transitions. American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/ab013.cfm. Accessed April 14, 2011.
- Casper RF, et al. Menopausal hot flashes. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 14, 2011.
- Hot flashes. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..C2009-0-38600-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&about=true&uniqId=230100505-53. Accessed April 14, 2011.
- Loprinzi CL, et al. Hot flashes. In: Walsh D, et al. Palliative Medicine. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?sid=1146104700&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05674-8..50177-8--cesec2&isbn=978-0-323-05674-8&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05674-8..50177-8--cesec2&uniqId=239287562-5. Accessed April 14, 2011.
- Gaudet T. Menopause: Integrative therapy. In: Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-2/0/1494/0.html. Accessed April 15, 2011.
- Menopausal symptoms and CAM: What the science says. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/providers/digest/menopause-science.htm. Accessed April 15, 2011.